Found 33 - Showing : 1 - 20
North West Crete
Hania (or Chania GR: Χανιά) is the capital of the Prefecture of the same name and the second biggest town in Crete, with a population of 60.000 inhabitants. It lies (Coordinates 35°31' N 24°1' E ) along the North coast of the island, about 55 km west of Rethymnon and 140 km west of Iraklion (Heraklion). Hania's old town (although it was heavily bombed by Germans in World War II) is considered as Crete's most beautiful urban district, especially the Venetian harbour with its 16th century lighthouse and the Mosque of the Janissaries ("Giali Tzamissi", built 17th century). Many of the old buildings have been restored as hotels, restaurants, shops and bars, making the old town a lively and colourful place, especially during the tourist period.
Hania Archaeological Museum
The museum is housed in the katholikon of the Venetian monastery of St. Francis. During the period of the Turkish occupation it was the Muslim mosque of Yussuf Pasha, while in modern times it was used as a cinema or a storehouse for military equipment. Since 1963 it has been functioning as the Archaeological Museum of the city. Apart from the permanent exhibition, the museum houses temporary exhibitions in the frame of certain local events
25 Chalidon Str., tel. +30821 90334
It contains impressive finds from the excavations of the ancient city of Kydonia, from Idramia, Aptera, Polyrinia, Kissamos, Elyros, Irtakina, Syia, Lissos, Chania, Axos, and Lappa.
The area of Akrotiri
A guide to the area of Akrotiri. Tourist facilities, regional information and image gallery. Akrotiri with its scenic landscape provides a relaxing, refined country break away from the pressures of urban life. Its numerous monasteries, from the oldest in Crete, played a significant role in the history of the area. Gorges of outstanding beauty offer a unique hiking experience, breathtaking views and the joy of exploration...
The area of Mournies
The villages of Mournies, Souda, Therisso, Drakona, Tsikalaria, Vamvakopoulo, Varipetro, Nerokouros, Perivolia, Plativola...
The Municipality of Nea Kydonia
Hrissi Akti, Makris Tihos, Agii Apostoloi, Glaros, Daratso, Galatas, Stalos
International Hania Airport
Chania International Airport, "Ioannis Daskalogiannis" (IATA: CHQ, ICAO: LGSA) is an international airport located 14km east from Hania, near Souda on the Akrotiri penisula. It is named after Ioannis Daskalogiannis, a Cretan revolutionary against Ottoman rule in the 18th century and is a joint civil - military airport (Souda Air Base).
Access:By public bus and Taxi (~16 euros)
Airport facilities: Police Station, Parking, Snack bar, ATM, Dutyfree, gift - souvenir shops, local nutrition products.
Telephones:Information desk +30 28210 83800 - 83805
Eleftherios K. Venizelos (1864-1936)
Politician born in Mournies, Chania
Eleftherios Venizelos (Elefthérios Kyriákou Venizélos, GR: Ἐλευθέριος Κυριάκου Βενιζέλος - 23 August 1864 – 18 March 1936), born in Mournies village near Chania, was an eminent Greek revolutionary, a prominent and illustrious statesman as well as a charismatic leader in the early 20th century. Elected several times as Prime Minister of Greece and served from 1910 to 1920 and from 1928 to 1932. Venizelos had such profound influence on the internal and external affairs of Greece that he is credited with being "the maker of modern Greece", and he is still widely known as the "Ethnarch".
Local newspaper - In Greek
LEXIS GREEK LANGUAGE CENTRE
The Greek Language and Culture Centre offers programs to adult foreigners of every nationality who want to learn Greek
Venetian port, Chania
The temple Kioutsouk (small) Hassan or Giali Tzamisi (seaside mosque), as it was commonly called, a brilliant sample of Islamic art of the Renaissance was a work of an Armenian architect, who had constructed another similar mosque in 'Spaniako', a village in the county of 'Selino'. The mosque, in the yard of which there were palm trees and graves of pashas and janissaries, stopped operating in 1923 and today it is restored without the small and picturesque minaret demolished in 1920.
Technical University of Crete (www.tuc.gr)
The Technical University of Crete, one of Greece’s Higher Education Institutions, which places emphasis both on education and research, was established in 1977 in Chania Crete and admitted its first students in October 1984. Today, the Technical University of Crete comprises 5 academic engineering departments, the Department of Production Engineering and Management, the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering, the Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering, the Department of Environmental Engineering and the Department of Architectural Engineering, assisted in their curriculum by the Sciences Department, all of which have set very high objectives.
The Campus is built on a panoramic location in Kounoupidiana, Akrotiri, 7 km northeast of the city of Chania, with a total area surface of 290 hectares. Off campus, the Department of Architectural Engineering is located at the former French School in Halepa whereas the Rectorate and the rest of the administration offices are located in the heart of the old city of Chania in the Venetian complex of the old barracks and prison.
Website (GR) :http://en.tuc.gr/contact-en.html
Website (EN) :http://en.tuc.gr/contact-en.html
Contact Information at:http://en.tuc.gr/contact-en.html
Park for the Preservation of Flora & Fauna
At a time that living organisms are disappearing at an alarming rate, especially through habitat destruction, the Park for the Preservation of Flora and Fauna of the Technical University of Crete, which extends to 30 hectares, constitutes a small but important area where native plants and co-existing animals are protected and can develop without human intervention.
Up to now 250 different plant species that grow naturally in habitats of the Park have been identified, while their systematic documentation is still in progress.
The development of new ecological units (“habitats”) began in areas of the Park that have been cultivated in the past. These will include plant species of Crete that do not grow naturally in the Park. Two such units, the wetland and the coastal habitats have already been launched.
Hania General Hospital
Agios Georgios" the General Hospital of Hania. Situated in the outskirts of the city of Chania, near Mournies village. It was established in 2000 and has a capacity of 450 beds. Its fundamental aim is the provision of high quality health services to all citizens, within a friendly and humane environment.
On the old road from Hania to Kissamos, 14km away from Hania is the coastal settlement of Kato Gerani which extends from the Platanias bridge to the village Pirgos Psilonerou. Awarded every year with the Blue Flag, the beach is organized and provide quite a lot facilities such as sun beds, umbrellas, shower, W.C. and sea sports. It is worth to take a small walk to the villages of the area, and enjoy the unspoiled Cretan nature and hospitality. Pano Gerani, Modi, Loutraki, Manoliopoulo are all within a distance no longer than 10 kilometrs.
Mountaineering Club of Hania
The Mountainering Club of Hania was established in 1930 and is a member of the association of Greek Mountaineering Clubs. The club is actively maintaining the European mountaineering path E4 which starts from Portugal and ends in Kato Zakros in Crete. The activities of the club include mountain climbing, skiing, canoing down the rivers in the Western Crete, speleology and more. Also the club organized the first mountain bike race in Crete in 1993 and intends to organize more races.
Hania Municipal Market
The Market, impressive for its size and shape, is built in the shape of a cross with 76 shops grouped according to their wares in the four arms of the cross. The south façade is particularly well constructed out of chiseled limestone, in the architectural style of the local tradition, developed during the Venetian period. Its construction was completed in 1913 and the formal opening was made by Eleftherios Venizelos on 4th December 1913 as part of the celebrations for the Unification of Crete to Greece.
White Mountains, Hania
The famous - mainly due to the gorge of Samaria- plateau of Omalos (GR: Ομαλός) is surrounded by the high crowns of the Lefka Ori (White Mountains) at 1,040 to 1,250 meters and is just 38 km from the town of Chania. It extends to the counties of Sfakia, Selino and Kydonia in the prefecture of Hania. Its shape is nearly rectangular with a perimeter of about 25kms and a diameter of approximately 4 kms. It can be reached by car from the north (Neratzoporo) and from the south (Agios Theodoros).
Venizelos Graves - Prophitis Ilias
At the magical and historical location of Profitis Ilias, in Akrotiri, at the east of Hania lays the tomb of Eleftherios Venizelos, one of the most long-standing prime ministers of Greece and whose political life was focused on doubling the size of Greek territory and on the creation of a contemporary State. Eleftherios Venizelos himself had designated this position to be his resting place before his death.
For the visitor, it affords a panoramic view of the rich green plain of Hania, the imposing White Mountains, the Cretan Sea, the town of Hania and the Chalepa quarter which is the location of the house in which the great politician spent most of his life and today is the headquarters of the National Research Foundation 'Eleftherios K. Venizelos'.
The Venetian Shipyards (Neoria)
Hania, old port
The south complex was completed in 1599, with the construction of 17 Neoria. Today only 7 survive out of the 17. In their original form they were open on the side of the sea. The ceilings are arched, and they are connected with arched openings of the same thickness as the walls.
Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Collection of Chania
Hania, old town
The wealth of archaeological material yielded by excavations conducted over many years by the 13th Ephorate of Byzantine Antiquities in the county of Chania, and also by retrieval of material and donations, forms a Collection that records, with great clarity, the history of the westernmost county in Crete from Early Christian times to the period of Turkish rule. Representative examples of this Collection are displayed in the church of San Salvatore.
Area of search